Sunflower

Sunflower

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

It's a Textural Thing

  I was thinking on my drive home the other day about how much of a place texture has in my life.  And I don't mean just the weaving thing, although I do go for the softer yarns, like wool and alpaca, but also food and what I wear. 
   When I was a little one, I had a blankie with a silk edge that I liked to rub on when I was going to sleep.  Then the blankie was taken away, and I started playing with my hair. I twirl it, I twist it, I rub on it when my hands aren't doing anything else.  And I have a lot of hair to play with.  With which to play. Whatever.
   One lady at work calls me Twiddles. Because I still do it.
  Also, there are foods I won't eat because of their texture. Coconut, for example, and shrimp. There is just something about how it feels in my mouth that makes me refuse to eat it. 
  Now, I know it's not just me that is like this. What won't you eat because it feels icky?  What do you like or do because it makes your fingertips happy?

2 comments:

  1. I'm the same way! When I was little I used to suck my thumb and twirl my hair. I loved the way it felt silky in my hands. I still twirl it when I get nervous! I'm very much a texture person with food too! Can't stand "boingy" food like shrimp even though it tastes good. The boing factor is yuk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 6 year old still loves his blanky. He comes down in the morning doing just that, rubbing the lining and running it on his cheek. I'll be sad when (if?) he outgrows it.

    ReplyDelete