Sunday, September 30, 2012


   I. AM. DONE.
   It took me from July 21 to September 30, but I am done with the fabric for the baby carrier! I am very glad to have this done for this patient lady.
    What I learned from this project:
  1. Overestimate weaving time for custom pieces. 
  2. Linen shrinks like a son-of-a-gun. Calculate that in.
  3. Making something linen this long and wide is going to have problems with tension and throwing the shuttle.
  4. I need to treat my weaving like a business.  I can't afford an expensive hobby like this. Not if I want to make a living at weaving (eventually).
   Next job, a scarf like this one, but in primary colors.

Monday, September 10, 2012

I'm done! Sorta....

   I got to the end of the warp, cut it off the loom, washed it, dried it in the dryer, measured it....
...and it is eighteen inches too short.
<Deep sigh>
  Fortunately, I didn't take the loom waste off the loom and clean it up when I was done, so there is yarn still through the heddles and reed. I have already measured out the new warp and just need to tie it to the existing warp, tie it on to the front bar, and weave the rest of it.
   I'm not going to estimate how long that will take, but it will not be anywhere near as long as before.