Sunflower

Sunflower

Thursday, June 4, 2015

My First Garden

  I actually have never grown a vegetable/ food garden before, something my mom pointed out to me last week. I have had a flower garden, which did well if only because God helped me water it.
  When my husband asked what I wanted for Mother's Day, I told him I wanted plants. So we went to Whataburger for dinner (I'm a cheap date!), and then to Lowe's.  I got twelve Homestead tomato plants, twelve Crimson Spineless okra, an Orange Lunchbox sweet pepper, a red sweet pepper, two burpless cucumbers, and twelve Sugar Snap peas.  I also got some marigolds to help keep bad bugs away from my vegetables, a Thai basil, German thyme, and Greek oregano plants.
  Then comes the next problem. I don't have a tiller, and I have really healthy grass where I want to put my garden. I started digging up the grass with a shovel, and quickly decided that was for the birds! I got a one foot by thirteen foot section dug up in two hours. Then I thought, "Hey, my parents have a tiller, don't they?" Unfortunately, my parent's tiller didn't work when they brought it down.
  Hmmmph.
  So I got a hand tiller. Still a lot of work, but not quite as much. I finally put half of my plants in the ground on Memorial Day with about four hours of work. Then God watered them REALLY well.
  Now my hands hurt.
  And I have a flower on one of my cucumber plants.
My tools

No comments:

Post a Comment